Wednesday, January 9, 2013
Personnel from Wakefield and at least four surrounding towns (Lynnfield, North Reading, Reading and Stoneham) knocked down a fire Tuesday night. Check out some photos from the scene.
On Tuesday night, The Wakefield Fire Department and personnel from several surrounding communities knocked down a fire at the Northeast Metropolitan Regional Vocational School that apparently started when a spark ignited some sawdust in a duct. Police and fire were at the scene for over two hours. When the alarm first went off, it disrupted a basketball game at the school. Fortunately, nobody was injured.
Tuesday, January 8, 2013
A two-alarm fire was reported Tuesday evening at the vocational school in Wakefield.
Firefighters are on the scene of a two alarm fire at Northeast Metropolitan Technical High School on Tuesday evening. Several public safety-oriented accounts on Twitter report that the fire started in the carpentry shop area and extended to the roof. The fire was first reported at about 5:30 p.m. In addition to Wakefield, crews from several other communities, including Lynnfield and Stoneham, were called to assist. At one point, flames were reportedly showing from the roof of the school. There was a basketball game going on at the time of the fire and the players and fans were alerted to the fire when the smoke alarms were activated, according to athletic trainer Terri Pillsbury, who was at the game. Everyone got out of the building OK and…
Tuesday night's fire at the vocational school is thought to have started when a spark ignited some sawdust in a heating duct in the woodshop area, Wakefield Fire Chief Michael Sullivan said at the scene.
Tuesday night's fire at the vocational school is thought to have started when a spark ignited some sawdust in a heating duct in the woodshop area, Wakefield Fire Chief Michael Sullivan said at the scene. The two-alarm fire drew personnel from Lynnfield, Reading, North Reading, and Stoneham. Chief Sullivan reported that the damage had largely been confined to the woodshop area - and he termed that damage "significant." The chief also noted that this type of fire is not particularly uncommon for a woodshop area. The two-alarm fire drew personnel from Lynnfield, Reading, North Reading, and Stoneham and at one point flames could reportedly be seen coming from the roof. Even well after the flames were extinguished, a heavy odor from the fire …
Tuesday, December 4, 2012
Wakefield Fire Chief noted that batteries in smoke alarms had just been changed at the house, potentially saving at least one life.
A check-in with Wakefield Fire Chief Michael Sullivan Monday found that the fire marshal's office believes Sunday morning's fire on Lake Street was accidental and likely electrical in nature. A three-alarm fire around 7:30 a.m. on Sunday morning drew emergency personnel from neighboring communities and inflicted serious damage on a home thought to date to the late 1800s or early 1900s. Sullivan also credited the homeowner, Richard Brown, for having recently changed the batteries in the smoke detectors, saying that in this case, that action may have very well saved the homeowner's life. He noted that Brown was up on the third floor at the time the smoke alarms started going off, and by then, the house was already filled with enough smoke to…
Sunday, December 2, 2012
Wakefield Fire Department will stay on premises.
Wakefield Fire Department returned to Lake Street Sunday night after the three alarm fire that destroyed the home earlier in the morning rekindled. At 8:45 p.m., fire officials reported hot spots in the multi-unit residence. Scanner reports indicated the department was requesting that a detail of one officer and two firefighters remain on the premises for the rest of the night. The three-alarm fire was first reported this morning at 7:20 a.m., when first floor residents reported hearing a 'crackling noise' and smelling smoke. Upon arrival, Wakefield firefighters quickly struck a second and third alarm, which brought apparatus from other communities to the scene and to cover the stations. No injuries were reported.
Residents of two-unit house displaced following three-alarm fire on corner of Lake Street and Broadway.
It was about 7:15 a.m. Sunday morning that Joel Sachar and his family discovered a fire upstairs of their first-floor apartment on the corner of Lake Street and Broadway. Sachar's wife, who had experienced a house fire before, knew when she heard a crackling noise coming from the second floor. "We heard crackling in the ceiling and we saw and smelled some smoke," Sachar said. "We got our son and my wife, got our coats, and ran outside the house." Wakefield Fire responded to a call of fire at about 7:30 a.m. Sunday. They quickly struck a second and third alarm, which brought apparatus from other communities to the scene and to cover the stations. No injuries were reported. Officials are still investigating the fire. Stay with Wakefield…
Broadway is closed as firefighters from multiple towns fight blaze.
Firefighters from multiple communities are fighting a three-alarm fire at the corner of Lake Street and Broadway Sunday morning. Wakefield Fire responded to a call of fire at about 7:30 a.m. Sunday. They quickly struck a second and third alarm, which brought apparatus from other communities to the scene and to cover the stations. Firefighters needed to evacuate the building because of the conditions and fought the blaze from the outside for a while. They re-entered the home at about 8:30 a.m. Broadway is closed. Apparatus from Woburn and Saugus are stationed nearby at Mike's Gym in case they need to be called to the scene. Check back to Wakefield Patch for the latest about the fire. Get breaking Wakefield news as it happens by signing up…
Wednesday, October 3, 2012
Fire Safety Week runs October 7-13 this year. These tips can help save you or a loved one in the event of a fire.
- POLICE & FIRE
Wednesday, October 3, 2012
The Wakefield Fire Department would like to remind the public that fire prevention week is the week of October 7-13,2012. Fire Prevention Week is sponsored by the National Fire Prevention Association and commemorates with a fire prevention theme the Great Chicago Fire of October 8-9, 1871, which killed more than 250 people, left 100,000 homeless, and destroyed 17,000 buildings. This year’s fire prevention theme is “Have 2 Ways Out”, with a focus on home fire escape planning and having two ways out of every room. If the first way out is blocked, it is important to have a backup escape route to help make sure everyone gets out safely. In a home fire, getting out fast is the best survival strategy. Most people don’t realize just how …
Tuesday, October 2, 2012
Wakefield Firefighters Nolan J. Curran, Patrick J. Jarvis and Michael C. Rowe were among the 67 latest graduates of the state firefighting academy's 60-day Recruit Firefighting Program.
- PUBLIC SAFETY
Tuesday, October 2, 2012
The following is an announcement from the Wakefield Fire Department: State Fire Marshal Stephen D. Coan, Massachusetts Firefighting Academy Director Edmund M. Walker and Wakefield Fire Chief Michael J. Sullivan are pleased to announce the graduation of Class number 196 of the Massachusetts Firefighting Academy’s 60-day Recruit Firefighting Program. A graduation ceremony was held at the Massachusetts firefighting Academy’s main campus in Stow on Friday, September 28, 2012. Marshal Coan said, “This rigorous professional training provides our newest firefighters with the basic skills to perform their jobs effectively and safely.” The Massachusetts Firefighting Academy, a division of the Department of Fire Services, offers this training …
Monday, September 17, 2012
Firefighters from Stoneham, Saugus and North Reading joined Wakefield in knocking down house fire.
Wakefield and firefighters from some other surrounding communities knocked down a two-alarm structure fire Sunday on Anjim Lane. A spokesman for the Wakefield Fire Department told Wakefield Patch that a heavy amount of flames were visible when firefighters first arrived at the scene, and that the house sustained a fair amount of damage. Still, the firefighters did manage to save the dwelling. "It was a very good save by the department. They saved the house," said the spokesman. The fire also drew personnel from Stoneham, Saugus and North Reading.