Friday, May 17, 2013
Fire Department reports that a jogger initially reported early Thursday afternoon fire, and that heavy flames were showing upon arrival. One firefighter treated for heat exhaustion.
A home on Salem Street suffered significant damage in a two-alarm fire shortly after noon on Thursday, although there were no injuries and two pets were also rescued from the structure. A passing jogger helped save the home by calling to report heavy smoke. The Wakefield Fire Department reported in a follow-up email later Thursday that upon arrival, heavy fire could be seen from the rear wall and porch of the house, which resulted in a second alarm struck almost immediately. The fire was mostly contained in the rear part of the home, which overall sustained heavy damage, reported the fire department. The fire was knocked down in several minutes, but much of the rest of the house reportedly suffered heavy smoke damage and some water damage…
Thursday, May 16, 2013
Firefighters from several surrounding communities helped bring fire under control.
A home behind the Willow Tree Garden and Flower Center on Salem Street in Wakefield was damaged in a two-alarm fire early Thursday afternoon. Stoneham and Reading joined Wakefield at the fire scene. No information was immediately available from the fire department on a suspected cause of the fire or the extent of damage. Firefighters ventilated the roof after the fire was out because of the thick smoke, and no injuries were reported.
Friday, May 10, 2013
Fire thought to have started in the basement. Home had balloon-frame construction and sustained at least $500K in damage, reports Wakefield Fire Chief.
A pedestrian walking on Gould Street called 911 soon before 1 a.m. Friday morning to report that flames were showing from a home that had been the scene of a small fire earlier in the evening. When firefighters arrived, Wakefield Fire Chief Michael Sullivan told Wakefield Patch that they found a large body of fire spread across the front of the house, with a second alarm almost immediately struck by Captain Riley. During the initial fire Thursday evening, Sullivan told Wakefield Patch that the fire had started in the basement and that its cause had yet to be determined. In a follow-up call Friday morning, Sullivan indicated that the cause of the fire was still thought to have been in the basement. A couple of large appliances were …
Thursday, May 9, 2013
Wakefield Fire Department first responded to fire early in the evening on Thursday, believed to have started in basement. Total loss reported hours later in two alarm blaze.
Wakefield Fire personnel responded to a report of a house fire on Gould Street soon after 6 p.m. on Thursday evening, extinguishing it before major damage could be inflicted on the dwelling. An initial report on Twitter said that smoke was reported showing from the building when the fire department first arrived. Some six hours later, shortly after midnight, Twitter reports said heavy flames were visible at the same home. It was reported to be a total loss. As of 1 a.m., a two-alarm fire was underway. More information will be provided as it becomes available. At the scene the first time the fire was reported, Fire Chief Michael Sullivan said that the fire had apparently started in the basement and had done some damage in a front corner …
Monday, March 18, 2013
House reportedly suffered only some external damage after problem with stove flue pipe.
Wakefield firefighters were able to extinguish a small fire at 22 Ledgewood Road before the home suffered serious damage. Fire personnel were called to the scene around 11:30 a.m. on Monday with a report of smoke showing from the one-story dwelling. About an hour later, the fire was out and trucks were already on their way back to the station. Captain Hudson of the Wakefield Fire Department reported at the scene that the fire was thought to be due to a problem with the vent on a pellet stove flue. He added that some siding on the back of the house had caught fire, and that otherwise the interior was undamaged.
Saturday, March 16, 2013
A fire that started outside was able to be stopped before doing any significant damage to a Nichols Street home.
A Nichols Street family will be able to live in their home after a fire on Saturday morning. Wakefield firefighters were called to 9 Nichols St. at about 9:30 a.m. when a fire started outside the house and spread to the siding. “(The resident) has put some hot ashes outside and it melted through the plastic bucket,” said Wakefield Fire Capt. Randy Hudson. The fire spread to the home’s vinyl siding, which melted, he said. Firefighters removed the burned siding from the home and checked to make sure the fire had not spread any further. “The fire never really got into the house,” Hudson said. The residents are able to return to the home, he said. A Stoneham engine covered the Wakefield fire station during the fire.
Monday, March 11, 2013
Fire Chief Michael Sullivan notes that CO detectors installed soon after state legislation in early 2006 are likely to need replacement in the next year.
- POLICE & FIRE
Monday, March 11
The following was provided by Wakefield Fire Chief Michael Sullivan: Wakefield Fire Chief Michael Sullivan reminds Wakefield residents to check their old Carbon Monoxide (CO) detectors. The Department of Fire Services has sent a bulletin to all fire departments pointing out that many carbon monoxide detectors installed in March of 2006, when new regulations were enacted requiring CO detectors in most residential buildings, may now be reaching the end of their useful life and need to be replaced. Unlike smoke detectors, carbon monoxide detectors have a well-defined life expectancy of 5 to 7 years, depending upon the alarm manufacturer. Carbon monoxide detectors that have reached the end of their life will “chirp” or beep once a minute …
Saturday, March 9, 2013
Wakefield Fire Department reminds people to change the batteries in their smoke and carbon monoxide detectors Saturday night when they move the clocks forward.
- POLICE & FIRE
Saturday, March 9
The following was provided by Wakefield Fire Chief Michael Sullivan: “Every second weekend in March, we turn the clocks ahead one hour. This is a good time to change the batteries in our smoke and carbon monoxide (CO) alarms,” said State Fire Marshal Stephen D. Coan. “So far this winter there has been an unusually high number of fatal fires and winter is not over yet. Making sure the smoke and CO alarms are working is a simple, effective way to protect your family,” said Coan. Coan added, “Remember that on Sunday, March 10, when you Change Your Clocks, Change Your Batteries.” “Working smoke alarms can double your family’s chance of surviving a fire and when combined with a practiced home escape plan, the chances are greater,” said Coan. “…
Wednesday, January 30, 2013
Wakefield Fire Department responded to report of smoke in a home. Fire was extinguished in a short time.
Wakefield Fire Department personnel put out a fire on 9 Butternut Road soon after 1 a.m. Wednesday. A resident at the home reported smoke detectors going off with smoke inside the building, and responders quickly confirmed there was a working fire up in the attic, which was soon brought under control. One added factor in this service call, noted a Wakefield Police Log entry, was icing on the roads surrounding the fire. More information will be provided when it becomes available.
Wednesday, January 9, 2013
Video footage from the scene of a two-alarm fire that broke out in the woodshop area at Northeast Regional Vocational School on Tuesday evening.
Tuesday night's fire at the Northeast Regional Vocational School drew personnel from Wakefield and four surrounding towns. The fire alarm disrupted a basketball game that was going on at the school at the time (they were winning, 16-0) and at one point, flames were reportedly showing from the roof of the school. The fire apparently started when a spark ignited some sawdust that had accumulated in a duct near the woodshop area of the school. At the scene of the fire after the flames were extinguished, Wakefield Fire Chief Michael Sullivan reported that there was significant damage to the woodshop area. In the featured video, firefighters had extinguished the flames nearly an hour before, but soon before they started finishing up, some …