Tuesday, April 10, 2012
A list of the fire incidents to which the Wakefield Fire Department responded from Monday, April 2 to Monday, April 9, 2012.
Fire Log for Monday, April 2 to Monday, April 9, 2012: Total calls for service: 62 Fire incidents: The Wakefield Fire Department was called to the Dolbeare Elementary School (340 Lowell Street) on April 9 at 11:30 a.m. for a direct call from the school to report a strange gas odor in the building. The building was evacuated of all students, staff and employees. When firefighters arrived, they were told it was less of a "gas" smell than a "burning plastic smell. Firefighters, and gas department employees checked all gas, light, and exhaust vents but could not find an odor in the building. School officials were instructed to call again if the smell returns. Fire incidents by the numbers:
Thursday, March 15, 2012
The town of Wakefield has taken preliminary steps to staff a fire prevention officer, a position which has remained vacant since 2008.
If Town Meeting approves it, Wakefield could welcome to town a new fire prevention officer to fill a position that has been vacant since 2008. In a change from previous years, the Board of Selectmen recently voted to pass the Fire Department's budget that contained a line item for a $70,000 position to staff a fire prevention officer. The fire prevention officer would be primarily responsible for inspecting all Wakefield businesses and enforcing that buildings, homes, and apartments are up to fire code. In 2010's annual report, Chief Sullivan disclosed that as many as 550 business inspections had not been completed due to the absence of a fire prevention officer in town. The warning was repeated again in the 2011 report. "Potentially …
Monday, March 12, 2012
A list of calls the Wakefield Fire Department responded to from Monday, March 5, to Sunday, March 11, 2012.
Fire Log for Monday, March 5 to Sunday, March 11, 2012: Total calls for service: 56 Fire incidents: The Wakefield Fire Department responded to two fires in homes over the last week. On March 7st at 2 p.m., the Wakefield Fire Department responded to 9 Heather Lane for a call for a fire that started in the kitchen. Nine firefighters responded under Captain Joe Riley. When firefighters arrived, they found the house had been evacuated, and there was heavy smoke damage to the kitchen and damage to the exhaust fan. It appeared that a member of the household had burned a pot of food. No one was injuried in the small fire. On March 5 at 1:43 p.m., Wakefield Fire responded to 219 Albion Street for a call that a resident had extinguished a small …
Monday, March 5, 2012
A list of calls the Wakefield Fire Department responded to during the period of Feb. 27 to March 4, 2012.
Fire Log for Monday, Feb. 27 to Sunday, March 4, 2012: Total calls for service: 63 Fire incidents: On March 1st at 12:51 p.m., the Wakefield Fire Department responded to 26 Davey Lane for a call that an oven had caught fire. Two engines and nine firefighters responded to the kitchen of a single family home. When the fire department arrived, they found the electrical element in the electric stove had shorted out. The Fire Department disconnected the stove and advised the homeowner to have it fixed. Fire incidents by the numbers:
Thursday, February 23, 2012
A list of calls the Wakefield Fire Department responded to during the period of February 14 to February 22, 2012.
Fire Log for Tuesday, Feb. 14 to Tuesday, Feb. 23, 2012: Total calls for service: 67 Fire incidents: On February 15 at 7:50 a.m., the Wakefield Fire Department responded to 63 Gould Street for a call that a carbon monoxide detector was sounding. When the fire department arrived, they took a reading of 127 ppm, a very high reading of carbon monoxide in the home. The family was immediately evacuated from the building and the heating system was shut down. During the course of the investigation, fire officials found that someone had hung a cardboard box over the outdoor heating system vent, which was bocking the carbon monoxide from leaving the home. "They are very lucky they had a carbon monoxide detector, said Captain Paul Pronco, currently …
Thursday, January 26, 2012
According to the 2011 annual report compiled by Fire Chief Michael Sullivan, there were no fire-related deaths in 2011, and several large house fires were stopped before becoming multiple-alarm emergencies.
Despite increasing costs and a lack of fire inspections at Wakefield businesses, Wakefield experienced no fire-related deaths in 2011, and several large house fires were stopped in time before becoming multiple-alarm emergencies, according to the year end report from Fire Chief Michael Sullivan. "The fire department budget has essentially been level-funded for several years, despite the cost of fuel, equipment repairs and in general, the cost of doing business has increased constantly," said Sullivan in his report. "The department has been relying on grants and private donations to operate on a day-to-day basis." Fires in 2011 During 2011 the Wakefield Fire Department responded to 3,261 emergency incidents, making it the second consecutive…
Monday, January 23, 2012
A list of calls the Wakefield Fire Department responded to from Monday, January 16 to Sunday, January 22, 2012.
Fire Log for Monday, Jan. 16 to Sunday, Jan. 22, 2012: Total calls for service: 55 Fire incidents: The Wakefield Fire Department responded to two calls for mutual aid in the last week, one to Saugus and one to Melrose. The first call was for a working fire at 34 Mount Vernon St. in Saugus on January 17 at 1:06 a.m. Wakefield Fire was called to assist, but ended up standing by for about half an hour before they were released. The second fire was on January 19 at 11:18 p.m. for a reported fire in the Melrose Steele House elderly housing building. Again, the Wakefield Fire Department stood by for about 45 minutes until they were released. Fire incidents by the numbers:
Monday, January 9, 2012
A list of calls the Wakefield Fire Department responded to from Tuesday, January 3, to Sunday, January 8, 2012.
Fire Log for Tuesday, Jan. 3 to Sunday, Jan. 8, 2012: Total calls for service: 54 Fire incidents: On January 7 at 6:05 p.m., the Wakefield Fire Department responded to 100 Foundry Street for a report of an oil spill. A fuel truck parked in a parking lot leaked about 20 gallons of fuel oil before the leak was noticed. Wakefield Fire Chief Michael Sullivan said the spill was "relatively minor," and that no oil entered the water supply or any storm drains. Fire incidents by the numbers:
Monday, August 22, 2011
A list of the calls to which the Wakefield Fire Department responded during the period of Monday, August 15 to Sunday, August 21.
Fire Log for Monday, August 15 to Sunday, August 21: Total calls for service: 61 Fire incidents: The door of a sedan caught fire in the Shaw's parking lot on Water Street on August 18 at 1:18 p.m., and was quickly extinguished by the Wakefield Fire Department. Firefighters in engine 1 responded at 1:20 p.m. and the fire was put out two minutes later. A fire was started in a dumpster at the Dolbeare Elementary School on Lowell Street on August 20 at 1:48 a.m. Four firefighters, under the direction of Captain Paul Pronco, arrived on the scene at 1:52 a.m. to find a fully involved fire in one of the dumpsters behind the school. Wakefield Fire put out the fire by 2:10 a.m. A short-circuit in a Humphrey Street home lead to a small electrical …