.

Fire Log: Large Fire Consumes Car Port, Fence on Daniel Road

A list of calls the Wakefield Fire Department responded to from Monday, April 23, to Sunday, April 29, 2012.

Fire Log for Monday, April 23 to Sunday, April 29, 2012:

Total calls for service: 41

Fire incidents: A large fire that consumed a car port and a fence broke out in the backyard of a Daniel Road home on April 29, according to the Wakefield Fire Department. Firefighters responded to 29 Daniel Road around 1:30 p.m. for a report of a structure fire.

When firefighters arrived, they found heavy smoke showing in the backyard of the home, and a car port fully involved with flames. The fire was contained to the area of the car port and an adjacent fence. The house sustained some additional heat damage to windows, but was otherwise undamaged from the fire. Firefighters knocked down the fire and overhauled the area until about 2:45 p.m.

The Fire Department determined the cause of the fire to be a batch of ashes from a wood stove that were disposed of in the rear of the yard.

"Strong wind conditions and hot coals started a brush fire that was driven by the wind and extended into the structure," said the report from the Fire Department.  

"It wasn't an exceptionally windy day, but that just goes to show you how dry everything is right now," said Chief Michael Sullivan.

Chief Sullivan credited 13-year-old Joseph Rando, who spotted the fire in his neighbor's backyard. He was the one who first saw the flames and asked his mother to call 9-1-1.

"It was very close," Chief Sullivan said. "By the time we got there, the windows on the back of the residence were starting to crack because of the heat. We were lucky we managed to get a line in there quick and knock it down before it extended into the house."

Chief Sullivan said that all homeowners with fireplaces should be careful that any ashes are cold before disposing of them.

"If that means letting them sit for a couple more days, then that's what you have to do," he said.

Fire incidents by the numbers:

Emergency Medical 27 Motor Vehicle Accident 1 Accidental Alarm
1 Alarm System Malfunction 2 False Alarm
1 Structure Fire
1 Lock Out
1 Smoke Scare
1 Inside Gas Odor
1 Controlled Burning
1 C-O Detector
1 Unauthorized Burning
2

Boards

More »
Got a question? Something on your mind? Talk to your community, directly.
Note Article
Just a short thought to get the word out quickly about anything in your neighborhood.
Share something with your neighbors.What's on your mind?What's on your mind?Make an announcement, speak your mind, or sell somethingPost something
See more »