Wakefield firefighters were able to extinguish a small fire at 22 Ledgewood Road before the home suffered serious damage.
Fire personnel were called to the scene around 11:30 a.m. on Monday with a report of smoke showing from the one-story dwelling. About an hour later, the fire was out and trucks were already on their way back to the station.
Captain Hudson of the Wakefield Fire Department reported at the scene that the fire was thought to be due to a problem with the vent on a pellet stove flue. He added that some siding on the back of the house had caught fire, and that otherwise the interior was undamaged.