Five Things to Know Today, Sept. 15
It's "Back to School Night" at the Galvin Middle School, where enjoying doo-wop tunes will help to prevent bullying in town, and more things to know today.
1. Cloudy - After several days of sun, things turn cloudy with a 60 percent chance of showers or thunderstorms after 3 p.m. Temperatures will hover around 74 degrees, according to the National Weather Service.
2. Today in Wakefield sports - Boys varsity golf plays Wilmington at 3:15 p.m. @ Wilmington, Boys varsity cross country plays Arlington High at 3:45 p.m. at home, girls varsity cross country plays Arlington at 3:45 p.m. at home, girls varsity soccer plays Watertown at 3:45 p.m. at home, Girls swimming takes on Reading at 5 p.m. at home, and boys soccer plays Watertown at 6 p.m. @ Watertown.
3. Back to School Night: Tonight is "Back to School Night" for parents of Galvin Middle School Students. Starting at 6 p.m., parents will mimic their child's daily route, visiting with their child's teachers in a shortened schedule. The program is for parents only - your kids spend enough time at school! Find more information here.
4. Concert to help prevent violence - The Wakefield Alliance Against Violence (WAAV), a non-profit dedicated to ending bullying and domestic violence in Wakefield, is holding a dinner concert tonight at the Crystal Community Club. The show, featuring The Senior Tones, a doo-wop singing group in town, starts at 8 p.m., with dinner catered by the Chuck Wagon Diner directly preceding. Tickets are $30 per person, and may be purchased at the Wakefield Daily Item business office, 26 Albion Street, or by calling Bob Eldridge at 781-246-1825. Read here for more information.
5. Today on the site, we've got Five Things to Know at 6 a.m., Event Spotlight at 8 a.m., Announcement Spotlight at 9 a.m., What Sold in your Neighborhood this week at 10 a.m., Police Log at noon, and in the afternoon, we've got more stories from Tuesday's School Committee meeting and a video feature on what Wakefield resident's feelings are on casinos in Massachusetts. Enjoy!