Five Things to Know Today, Oct. 14
Grease opens tonight, where to party for the Woodville, the latest news about the World War II Memorial, and more things to know today.
1. Showers expected - There will be showers throughout most of the day today, with thunderstorms possible. Definitely wear a raincoat - the chance of precipitation is 100 percent, according to the National Weather Service.
2. Today in Wakefield sports - Boys varsity football plays Wilmington at 7 p.m. tonight @ Wilmington., and the girls varsity dance team also competes at Wilmington High at 7 p.m. tonight. Check back to the site tomorrow for coverage.
3. Grease - Tonight is opening night for the Wakefield Repertory Theatre's presentation of the classic musical “Grease.” Join the Pink Ladies, the T-Birds and the students of Rydell High as they navigate the complexities of love, cars, and drive-ins. Shows will be on Oct. 14, 15, 21, 22 at 8pm, and October 16 and 23 at 3pm at Wakefield-Lynnfield United Church, 273 Vernon Street, Wakefield. Tickets are $17.00 Adult;$15.00 Student/Senior and can be purchased here online or by phone at (781) 245-1173.
4. World War II Memorial - Concrete for the World War II Memorial Wall of Honor on Wakefield’s upper Common was recently poured by (see photo) John DiTonno, Jim Luciani and Bob Thompson. The local contractors donated their time and labor, along with Independent Concrete, Benevento Concrete, Electric Supply Center, Woburn Concrete Products, Kim Lighting, Jim Ross, the Department of Public Works and the Wakefield Municipal Gas & Light Department. The finished memorial will feature a Walk of Remembrance that will include granite pavers inscribed with the name, rank and branch of service of a sponsored service man or woman who has served, or is currently serving, in the armed forces, regardless of the date of service or Wakefield residency. The new memorial is scheduled to be dedicated on Veterans Day.
5. Party for the Woodville School - Don't forget, tomorrow night at 7:30 p.m. is the Parents Night Out for the Woodville Elementary School at the Knights of Columbus Lodge, 570 North Ave in Wakefield. There will be a live band, dancing, a raffle, and more! All you have to do is show up. Tickets are $15 each. Find more details here.
Did you know you can add your own events to our events calendar? Click here to add an event. You can also share your news with the rest of the community - photos, fundraisers, you name it. Click here to add an announcement.