Five Things to Know Today, Dec. 16
A religious community sing-a-long, catch a Sox game for GMS, auditions for "Once Upon a Mattress" and more things to know today.
1. A cold one - Today will be mostly sunny with a high near 50 degrees, according to the National Weather Service.
2. Holiday sing-a-long at First Congregational - The First Parish Congregational Church is holding an informal concert/sing-through of the Christmas portion and the Hallelujah Chorus of Handel's Messiah tonight at 7:30 p.m. at the church. You're encouraged to sing along with the orchestra in the choruses, or swing by just to listen. Professional soloists will perform the various solos between the choruses. Admission is free, and there's a reception afterwards.
3. Auditions -The Wakefield Repertory Theater is holding auditions for actors ages 14 and older tonight at 7 p.m. for "Once Upon a Mattress," a musical retelling of the classic fairy tale "The Princess and the Pea." If you're trying out, prepare two contrasting pieces in the style of the show, 16-32 bars, wear comfortable clothes and be prepared to dance. See here for more information including what roles will be cast and a synopsis of the play. Auditions will be held at the Wakefield/Lynnfield United Methodist Church (273 Vernon St.)
4. Catch a Sox game for GMS - The Galvin Middle School Buddies will be selling Red Sox tickets tonight from 6 to 7 p.m. in the WHS cafeteria to support their organization. Available games are on Saturday, May 26, Thursday, June 7, Saturday, June 23, Thursday, July 19, Tuesday, July 31 and Saturday, August 4. Tickets range from $33 to $57, a price which includes a $5 donation to support the Galvin Buddies. See here for more information.
5. Weekend Plans - In addition to all the great events going on tonight, don't forget about the Children's Concert with Peter Sheridan on Saturday at 10:30 a.m. at the Beebe Library, the Street Smart Kids, Self Defense Program at 10 a.m. at Beyond Self Defense, the Polar Express Train Ride which leaves at noon from Anderson Commuter Station in Woburn. For our full list of events see our events calendar.
Did you know you can add your own events to our events calendar? Click here to add an event. You can also share your news with the rest of the community - photos, fundraisers, you name it. Click here to add an announcement.