Five Things to Know Today, August 9
Funeral for former Wakefield Fire Chief Walter Maloney, and more things to know today.
1. Back to sun - After all of yesterday's rain, it should make you happy to know that today will be mostly sunny with a high near 76, according to the National Weather Service.
2. Funeral for Walter V. Maloney Jr. - Walter V. Maloney Jr., a former Fire Chief in Wakefield for 22 years and a firefighter in town for 44, passed away on August 5th. His funeral is being held today at 9 a.m. the McDonald Funeral Home, 19 Yale Ave., followed by a Funeral Mass in St. Joseph Church, 173 Albion St., Wakefield, at 10:00. Wakefield Patch will have a tribute obituary on Mr. Maloney this week.
3. Win a brand new car - Most of those raffles you enter for new cars or far away vacations seem like little more than fantasy. Thousands of people enter, no one ever seems to win. Well, the Wakefield Chamber of Commerce is running a contest for a brand new 2010 Suzuki Kizashi GTS Sport car, and only 300 tickets are being sold. Tickets are $100 each, but with the high price also comes a high chance of winning. All money raised goes directly to support the Wakefield Chamber of Commerce goals to serve the Wakefield community. Tickets are available at Holiday Travel 402 Main St., or the Americal Civic Center, 467 Main St.
4. Today at the library - is the Wee Listeners program, a story hour for babies aged 2 and under to learn songs, rhymes and fingerplays. No registration is necessary. The program begins at 9:30 a.m. at the Beebe Library.
5. Feeling extra smart? Bring yourself and three of your smartest friends to the Dockside Restaurant tonight for trivia, and you could come home a winner. The game is played every Tuesday (and Wednesday!) night at 8 p.m.