5 Things: Fundraiser for MS Walk, Financial Aid Night, Lemonade Stand
Five things worth knowing today, April 26, 2012, in Wakefield, MA.
1. Possible showers - Showers are likely, but otherwise it will be cloudy and around 60 degrees, according to the National Weather Service. Chance of rain is 60 percent.
2. Today in Wakefield sports - Boys varsity tennis plays Belmont at 3:30 p.m. at home, and girls varsity tennis play Belmont at 3:30 p.m. @ Belmont.
3. Fundraiser for MS Walk - Young Adults with Multiple Sclerosis (YAMS) are sponsoring a rally tonight to support the efforts of the First Annual MS Walk in Wakefield, MA on June 17th. Join them at tonight at the Dockside Restaurant tonight from 6-9 p.m., and 25 percent of what you spend at the restaurant will go to the New England Chapter of the National MS Society. You must bring a voucher with you, which is available here. will go to the National MS Society's Greater New England Chapter. See here for more information.
4. Paying for a college education - If you're part of a family with a middle school or high school aged child, consider attending a seminar tonight at 6 p.m. at Wakefield High School. The WHS guidance department invites 7th to 10th grade parents to learn how to plan ahead and explore how to make college affordable prior to entering the junior and senior year of high school. The evening’s agenda will include the following: Costs of College, College Forms and Formulas, Time Lines for Getting Aid, Myths & Truths about Financial Aid, What Constitutes Financial Aid, the Financial Aid System and Formula, College Savings Plans, and Home and Family Strategy.
5. Students in national contest - Wakefield students Noah and Luke Greif and Summer Milsky are participating in the national Lemonade Day on Saturday, May 5th with 100% of the proceeds to benefit the Wakefield Interfaith Food Pantry. Last year's stand raised $500 and the kids presented their check and helped out with food donation distribution. The kids also won a Community Giving Award from Babson College and were Wakefield Patch Whiz Kids of the Week. This year, the kids are competing in two national video competitions to help raise awareness and money to invest in their stand. Vote for their entries by April 29th at: Fund My Stand (labeled Rich Greif): http://bit.ly/JMPAJb and Lemonade Day Commercial (labeled Rich Greif): http://bit.ly/JkLI7y.
Did you know you can add your own events to our events calendar? Click here to add an event. You can also share your news with the rest of the community - photos, fundraisers, you name it. Click here to add an announcement.