5 Things: Blossoms at the Beebe, Weekend Events
Five things worth knowing today, Friday, April 26, 2012, in Wakefield, MA.
1. Mostly sunny - Today will be sunny and around 62 degrees, according to the National Weather Service.
2. Today in Wakefield sports - Boys varsity tennis plays Melrose at 3:30 p.m. @ Melrose, girls varsity tennis plays Melrose at 3:30 p.m. at home, and boys varsity baseball and girls varsity softball play Wilmington at 3:45 p.m. at home.
3. Theater night -Stoneham's Theatre To Go presents "The Importance of Being Earnest by Oscar Wilde," at the Greenwood Union Church, (4 Oak St.) all through this weekend, with an opening show tonight at 8 p.m. Directed by Alex Lucchesi, the classic comedy pits reality against pretense in order to expose the superficiality of Victorian Era Britain. You can catch the show again on Saturday night at 8 p.m., Sunday at 2 p.m., and next weekend, too. See here for more information.
4. Blossoms at the Beebe - The Beebe Library and Chamber of Commerce's biggest fundraiser, Blossoms at the Beebe, is being held all weekend. The event includes a flower show, silent auction, beer and wine tasting, hors d’oeuvres, music for dancing and a cash bar. The night gets underway at 7 p.m. at the library (345 Main Street, Wakefield). Proceeds from the event will go to the Beebe Book Fund and the Chamber’s community and civic projects.Tickets for Blossoms at the Beebe are $30 per person ($40 at the door).
On Sunday, there's a free family fun day, will showcase the floral displays and creative efforts of local photographers from 1 p.m. to 5 p.m. Arts and crafts activities and a scavenger hunt are also planned from 2 to 4 p.m. Plus, all the floral arrangements featured at the event will be raffled on Sunday during the family fun day. Raffle tickets will be sold at both the Saturday evening and Sunday events. See here for more information on the event.
5. What's up for this weekend - There's so much going on in Wakefield this weekend. Besides the two events already mentioned, on Saturday there's a Yard Sale - Girl Scout Troop 71437 at 8 a.m., a car wash for Wakefield High School Girls Lacrosse at 9 a.m., tours of Galvin Middle School for voters at 9 a.m., a Stella & Dot Trunk Show at the Avon Beauty Center, a Walk Like Madd event around Lake Quannapowitt, a Spring Open House at Nazareth Academy at 11 a.m., and Greg Trooper & Gail Rundlett headline the Linden Tree Coffee House at 8 p.m.
On Sunday, both Mitrano Hair Salon (3 Albion St) and Philip Ciampa Salon & Day Spa (395 Main St.) are holding a HAIRraising for Children's Hospital Boston event. For a full list of everything else going on in town this weekend, check out our events calendar.
5 things you can do everyday: