5 Things: A Night of A Cappella, a Martini Party for a Cause
Five things worth knowing today, May 4, 2012, in Wakefield, MA.
1. Keep your umbrella handy - There's a 70 percent chance of rain today, with temperatures around 55 degrees, according to the National Weather Service.
2. Today in Wakefield sports - Boys varsity tennis plays Stoneham at 3:30 p.m. at home, girls varsity tennis plays Stoneham at 3:30 p.m. @ Stoneham, boys varsity baseball and girls varsity softball play Reading at 3:45 p.m. @ Reading, and boys varsity lacrosse plays Reading at 4 p.m. @ Reading.
3. Martini Party - for a cause - Silver Clay Fabulous Gifts & Jewelry is hosting a shopping and martini fundraising night for Wakefield resident Linda Malcom, who is walking in the upcoming Avon Walk for Breast Cancer. A breast cancer survivor, Linda Malcolm will be walking 13 miles each day. Silver Clay will donate 15 percent of the night's sales go to the Avon Walk. See here for more information.
4. A Cappella night - It's so much more than just one a cappella concert. Sharing the stage at this special event tonight is Wakefield's own a cappella group, Voices of Steel, two groups from Marblehead, The Jewel Tones and The Grizzly Freakin’ Man Singers, the Kings of the Beach from Hamilton-Wenham, the all female AcaBellas, the co-ed ensemble the AcaPeople, and the LHS Chamber Singers, all from Lynnfield. Tickets for “An Evening of A Cappella” are $15, students and senior citizens are $10. The show will be held at Wakefield High School’s new theater, 60 Farm Street. The doors will open at 6:30 and the performance will begin at 7:00 p.m. Nine raffle prizes will be offered, including museum passes, cruise tickets, show tickets, a hair salon gift certificate, and an autographed book by a famous Wakefield alum. See here for more information about each of the performance groups.
5. This weekend - There are lots of great events happening right here in Wakefield this weekend. On Saturday, head to the Hartshorne House Association Annual Yard Sale at 52 Oak St. starting at 7:30 a.m., Hike the Southern Fells with the Friends of the Middlesex Fells Reservation at 10 a.m., support the next generation of entreprenuers at Lemon-Aid 2: A Lemonade Stand to Benefit the Wakefield Interfaith Food Pantry, at 10 a.m., or hear a Wakefield native performs at Johnny D's in Somerville. See our full calendar of events for more to do this weekend.
5 things you can do everyday: